Syrian opposition in province of Daraa surrenders arms for reconciliation

12.02.2021, Damascus.

The Syrian opposition in the province of Daraa continues surrendering its arms in the town of Tafas as a reconciliation offer to the government, Deputy Commander of the Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides Rear Admiral Vyacheslav Sytnik said to journalists on February 10.

Sytnik stressed that disarmament is taking place under the supervision of the Russian Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides.

“Governmental and municipal officials have agreed to continue peaceful resolution. As a gesture of good will, a number of armed citizens have surrendered their arms,” he said.

The rear admiral explained that the Syrian authorities previously allowed the members of illegal armed groups to leave freely the country with their families and property. However, the latter refused to do so despite the lack of any serious support among the population across the areas under their control. Only the Russian side could initiate the process.

“We are very happy that this meeting, this talk took place. And we are grateful for the Russian help in resolving this conflict. We hope that Russia will continuously participate in this. The people of the town of Tafas express this hope,” a commander of a number of armed opposition groups, former physical training teacher, Mahmoud Baradan, said to the journalists.

According to Sytnik, the arms that the militants surrendered include machine guns and grenade launchers as well as pistols and assault rifles. Any usable arms will be given to the active Syrian army, and the rest will be re-melted.

At the next stage of the talks, the status of former militants will be discussed. As Damascus previously said, no prosecution is planned against members of any reconciling groups.

Source: Rossa Primavera News Agency

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Website

three × 5 =